[guardian-dev] chatsecure 13.0.6 feedback / old HW

shmick at riseup.net shmick at riseup.net
Tue Jan 7 23:37:27 EST 2014

shmick at riseup.net:
> hey there,
>
> a little tired of scouring xmpp.net for public jabber servers that 1)
> enforced their own cipher prefs and 2) didn't support RC4_MD5 i decided
> to finally update from the latest stable gibberbot
>
> my HW
> old phone on 4.2.2
>
> chatting with person on old HW too on 2.3.7
>
> 1.
> we straight out upgraded from the latest stable gibberbot
> both rebooted
> first problem; its a biggie unfortunately - we both can't see text in
> any message chats ...

the only way i am able to see text in chats is to change my font size in
display prefs back to the original factory setting of normal

i have it set to small because my display res is low on small old device

it would be really good if i didn't have to do this, is there any other
way to implement this for the latest-and-greatest chatsecure ???

> we can send text ok, we can hear that fucking bril new ringtone (!) but
> alas no text in chat windows
>
> the *only* way a msg is known to be received is in the non-avatar
> display option, contact tab
>
> ie. my online contact username and below that where their status
> appears, the status is replaced by the message
>
> no msgs appear in any chat windows alternating from light to dark themes
>
> only thing i can think of for me is i have manually reduced the global
> font display size of my phone - would that make a difference ?

good guess ...

> 2.
> on my phone ive had an ongoing issue for ages (gibberbot and now chatsecure)
> there's been a chat window that just refuses to close

i ended up completely uninstalling

when i did and installed from scratch there was the prompt for a
password, or the lazy option

i did not see this option screen when upgrading from the latest stable
gibberbot

> i remember on gibberbot i could long press to select chats to close, and
> it never selected this 'frozen' 'dead' one
>
> its still there in chatsecure now and 'end chat' never removes it
>
> i could re-install but i want to keep my xmpp usernames to which i have
> unknown random pwds ...
>
> 3.
> no way to export account settings/plans to implement it ?

this would be useful