[guardian-dev] Improving the UI/UX of ChatSecure

Liron Tocker lirontocker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:51:15 EST 2014

Apologies, my previous mail was sent from a different account and I'm not
certain it made it to the list. In case it did not, here it is again:

-----------

Most popular messaging systems at this point are moving away, if they
haven't already, from displaying presence and I'd probably see ChatSecure
moving in the same direction. That said, it'll be _really_ tricky from an
interaction point of view, because OTR can only be initiated when both
parties are "online" - and both parties are _aware_ of the fact that
they're both online and connected to the system, in order to avoid
confusion or frustration. We'd basically be leaving the user guessing, or
end up sending messages like "are you available?". One way to solve this is
to force OTR on all chats by default - I'd be interested to hear if you've
considered this in the past. I can imagine how this would simplify things a
lot for the user, since you'd only need to set up and verify a person once
(not sure if this is a terrible idea, security wise - this means that if
one party is unavailable or not connected to the service, an encrypted
message will be to be held in some kind of limbo state until the other
party connects).

I'd love to do a hangout next week, that sounds like a great idea! I'd say
everyone's invited who wants to listen in or has something they'd like to
contribute (within reason, of course). I haven't started doing any sketches
yet so now is a great time for me to get feedback from you guys and drink
it all in :)

I'm available after 19:30 on weekdays and 10:00-20:00 on weekends (GMT +1),
my Hangouts ID is this google account, please feel free to add me. If you
prefer to use Jitsi, please let me know and I'll set it up (I have an Ostel
account).

---------

And to Natanael:

Thanks for the feedback - I think that's a very relevant use case.
Ultimately, I think we need to try and figure out which is our largest and
core use case(s) for ChatSecure is and try to make decisions regarding
usability and functionality around that.