[guardian-dev] signal without sim ?

Richard Z rz at linux-m68k.org
Thu Jan 9 13:08:49 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:51:51AM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> As for without a SIM, it is clear that the radios are still on even with a SIM
> card.  What I don't know is whether some calling is still possible.  For
> example, is it possible to dial the emergency number when there is no SIM card
> in the device?

recently had a moto-g without a SIM and displayed "emergency calls only". So
that would be a pretty strong indication that it would be capable of emergency
calls without a SIM card. Afaic emergency calls do not require association with
a specific network (so that they can "roam" anywhere), other calls would need
the crypto fucntion of the SIM card unless there is apretty good emulator
in the phones software.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers