[guardian-dev] thoughts on mobile tracking

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Jan 13 09:58:47 EST 2014

I think that with the big data point of view, it would be pretty easy to corrolate a few SIM cards into a single identity, so I think your multiple SIM card idea would provide only minimal protection.  Plus I believe its a crime in many countries to change your IMEI, so you'll be trackable there regardless of the IMSI used.

The only solution I've seen for widescale wireless network coverage that does not track its users is certain forms of municipal wifi.  For example, Santa Clara, CA has put wifi APs on all of their electricity meters, providing open wifi throughout the city.  If your device then has a MAC changer, then you can get city-wide internet without that network tracking you.

I get wifi service over a much bigger area (most of Long Island and parts of New York City) from Cablevision Optimum Online, but that service requires that I either login or register my MAC address in order to access the service, so the same level of tracking as cellular networks is possible there.

The solution for network tracking in the foreseeable future is not technical.  It is political and social.  We need to pass laws to restrict what the network providers can do with the tracking data, and regulate how much data they can store.  Unfortunately in the US, we're going the wrong way on that issue.  The current proposed "solution" to the NSA mass surveillance is to pass laws that make the telecoms store all of their data for many years (instead of the NSA).

We also need to get people to share their own network connections as open wifi so people can get internet without network-wide tracking.
https://openwireless.org/

.hc