[guardian-dev] Blackphone

Peter Villeneuve petervnv1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:59:53 EST 2014

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not into US bashing at all. Quite the
opposite, actually.

And it is one thing to have US developers providing open source solutions
that anyone can audit, which is, quite rightly IMO, The Guardian Project's
approach, which I trust.
Another thing all together, as you rightly pointed out, is to have
proprietary security/privacy solutions sold commercially by US
corporations. That ship I believe has sailed given what we now know
(although probably most people on this list already suspected/knew anyway -
now we have confirmation).

And, as we all know, the threat to privacy is not just from USG. Look at
what India and Russia are doing and what other countries likely do in
secret already.
I think Iceland is very savvy for transforming itself into a digital
privacy mecca. Kudos to them.

Still, the question remains. What's to stop Silent Circle from being served
a NSL or, more likely, have someone already on the inside watering things
down?
I'd rather just use my own solution on my own server using open source
tools like the ones developed by you guys and not pay Silent Circle
anything.