[guardian-dev] Blackphone

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Jan 16 12:05:15 EST 2014

On 01/16/2014 11:59 AM, Lee Azzarello wrote:
> Anyone interested in contributing to a federated infrastructure for
> realtime communications, (VoIP, IM, video chat) could get an account
> with a real hosting provider anywhere in the world, with a static IP
> on the public Internet and build out their own backend.

This is the point I wanted to make. I was not trying to denigrate your
good name, or that of Ostel.co.

That said, the proposed instance in Iceland (http://ostel.is/) is being
setup by a commercial ISP, not some dood at home. Many commercial ISPs,
organizations and universities also contribute to Tor's infrastructure.
It just takes time to build a decentralized system, it doesn't happen
when you want it to either.

Choice, diversity, decentralization are just the name of the game, and
when you have only one box, hosted by one company (as you do with
RedPhone and SilentCircle, as well), that is inherently fragile from a
legal perspective, and limited from a user/consumer choice perspective.

+n