[guardian-dev] Blackphone

Tim Prepscius timprepscius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 19:09:48 EST 2014

This might be a bit of a tangent.  But I think still relevant.

I don't see a good "one click install your favorite X linux
distribution on your old iPhone."
Perhaps I've just missed it.

I personally am not interested in a whole phone which does everything,
I'm interested in a linux which has a library for making a call,
sending a text and accessing internet/wifi.

I would actually like to create my own user interface using open gl.
I'm underwhelmed by Apple and the GoogleTakeOfApple.  I'm not
interested in the "candy crushes."  I want to run things I write and
standard unix stuff.

I sort of wish that the emphasis of the "secure phone" companies (or
actually all non-google-non-apple companies) was not a whole new phone
= new hardware, but reuse of (slightly) old existing phones.  I have
an old iPhone and an old Android sitting in my room, and an iPod which
Apple has made obsolete with iOS 7 obsolete.  All of them are capable
of opengles.

I would like to develop by buying a 20$ phone chip on a usb card, plug
it into my mac, spoof my computer into a real phone, develop the
opengles (iPhone) there and then do a port on to the linux-phone,
compiling for whatever linux is there.

Cheers,

-tim