[guardian-dev] ostel over 2g ?

shmick at riseup.net shmick at riseup.net
Tue Jan 21 08:43:20 EST 2014

Richard Z:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 08:39:25PM +1100, shmick at riseup.net wrote:
>> would this ever be possible in regional areas?
>> i had 45s of latency trying with both parties on 2g
>>
>> it was a while since i used it and noticed the twofish-256 cipher &
>> remember previously it was some 128 variant
>>
>> is this hard coded from the ostel ostn server and how could it be
>> changed if at all possible ?
>>
>> i use the csipsimple client
>>
>> would aes 128 be more sensible and reduce latency ???
>
> you want to try a few different audio codecs. I had it reasonably well
> working on 2G with narrowband speex and AMR.

my default 1st pref in csip for low bandwidth networks is speex 8k
when you say reasonably how much delay approx ?
i believe part of the problem could also be sometimes physically located
on the border of 2g/3g networks which is pain, perhaps ?

in that case i would default to 2g only on my phone and not have it
bouncing around from 2g/3g

does cipher choice have any impact and are there any other softphones
for mobile to recommend apart from csip ?