[guardian-dev] ostel over 2g ?

Richard Z rz at linux-m68k.org
Wed Jan 22 14:26:56 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 12:43:20AM +1100, shmick at riseup.net wrote:

> my default 1st pref in csip for low bandwidth networks is speex 8k
> when you say reasonably how much delay approx ?

speex 8k worked reasonably well for me in uncongested situations, all
the way down to 8kb/s connections.

2G does not guarantee any datarate but should not get much worse.

> i believe part of the problem could also be sometimes physically located
> on the border of 2g/3g networks which is pain, perhaps ?
>
> in that case i would default to 2g only on my phone and not have it
> bouncing around from 2g/3g

yes, in such a case you probably need to "force 2g only" in the android
mobile settings.

> does cipher choice have any impact and are there any other softphones
> for mobile to recommend apart from csip ?

default cipher was without any problems even with 2G on a low end phone.

I am not aware of any better softphone, for old or unusual hardware you
may want to compile it yourself with adjusted compiler flags.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers