[guardian-dev] Sharing encrypted content with other apps

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Tue Jan 28 20:49:07 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 17:25, Mark Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014, at 17:13, David Holl wrote:
> > b) Another idea --- getting back to the clever pipe approach...  It would
> > be cool if unix socket URI's are available, such as
> > "unix:///tmp/data/blah.txt" or "socket:///tmp/data/blah.txt" or whatever
> > the URI scheme is.
>
> AFAIK, that's not available at the Java layer, and definitely would not
> be recognized by arbitrary third-party apps.

I was wrong about Unix sockets being available at the Java layer, as
that's LocalSocket and LocalServerSocket, I think. And, you can use
those to create a FileDescriptor:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21072763/a-localsocket-unix-domain-client-server-data-flow-issue-for-mediarecorder-in-a

However, I suspect this will suffer from the same rewind problem as
createPipe() does.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_: Version 5.5... And
Still Going Strong!