[guardian-dev] Hello list, new dev joining the community.

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Wed Jul 2 10:48:57 EDT 2014

Hello Brad,

Peer to peer VoIP over the public internet is impossible with IPv4
networks. This is due to the lack of bi-directional connectivity on
most endpoint networks. The keyword is "NAT traversal". ostel.co uses
a server with a public IP address to do the heavy lifting of NAT
traversal, which includes proxying the encrypted audio data. That
said, the encrypted session keys are negotiated among peers and the
server has no ability to decrypt the content.

If you are looking for a server backend that does not proxy media, I
hear that can be done by setting up a TURN server. ostel.co took a
much different approach so I don't have any real world advice about
the process. I know RedPhone uses TURN, that might be a good place to
start.

Regards,
Lee