[guardian-dev] Build your own browser: A Maven repository for GeckoView

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Jul 11 17:11:51 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:06 PM, Amogh Pradeep <amoghbl1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > If we use GeckoView inside of Lightning, we have a much simple
> browser, albeit one that still supports tabs, bookmarks, etc.
>

> The only problem is that it'll be too simple a browser. Some of the
> minute details that the browser has will be missed out. Also,
> GeckoView seems to have a lot less people working on it than the
> browser itself. Will tabs be available if we use lightning? Many
> people want to see tabs.

Lightning is a very nice browser. It has tabs, bookmarks, and all the
expected browser features. In some ways, the UI is more try to Android,
as well.

I really do like Fennec, but again the more features you have, the more
things you have to worry about securing.

> > Please continue to work on your BUILD write-up, and setting up a
> new git repo with the mozilla one as an external git submodule.
> >
> Will continue with the build write-up, hopefully we can get that done
> asap and replace orweb at least, because I do think that the fennec
> browser is better than orweb, don't know about other people's
> opinions!

It depends on what you define as "better". Orweb was designed to be as
simple a browser as possible. It opens web pages, and allows basic
navigation. It wasn't meant to do much more. It was never intended to
compete with Fennec. I am worried that by going the other direction
entirely (huge, full feature browser), we will then start having a ton
of bugs related to other privacy and data leaks.

Regardless, I think you should stay focus on Fennec. The Lightning team
(Anthonycr) is looking into the GeckoView possibility. Perhaps we can
have a bake-off! :)

+n