[guardian-dev] Tor Onion Proxy Library

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 24 21:33:18 EDT 2014

Note: I posted this to tor-talk which I'm going to guess has a lot, if not total, overlap with this list but I really wanted to post this here too to say thank you! Without Guardian's work on Orbot and related projects we could never have built our project in the first place.

---------

I work on the Thali project [1] which depends on being able to host hidden services on Android, Linux, Mac and Windows. We wrote an open source library to help us host a Tor OP that that we thought would be useful to the general community - https://github.com/thaliproject/Tor_Onion_Proxy_Library

The library produces an AAR (Android) and a JAR (Linux, Mac & Windows) that contain the Guardian/Tor Project's Onion Proxy binaries. The code handles running the binary, configuring it, managing it, starting a hidden service, etc.

The Tor_Onion_Proxy_Library started off with the Briar code for Android that Michael Rogers was kind enough to let us use [2]. We then expanded it to handle running on Linux, Mac and Windows. The code is just a wrapper around Briar's fork of jtorctl (originally from Guardian I believe) and the latest binaries from Guardian and the Tor Project.

This is an alpha release, version 0.0.0 so please treat accordingly.

I hope y'all find it useful.

       Thanks,

             Yaron

[1] http://www.thaliproject.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
[2] Specifically he dual licensed the code under Apache 2 so we could use it.