[guardian-dev] merging ffmpeg work upstream (Storymaker/InformaCam)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Jun 9 11:41:02 EDT 2014

We've done some nice work on ffmpeg, but it has languished in our own repos,
so now it has bit-rotted and is far from working on recent versions of ffmpeg.
That leaves us stuck on old versions of ffmpeg, and also in charge of
maintaining our version of ffmpeg.  Given that there is new StoryMaker and
InformaCam money, I propose to carve out a little to get all that stuff merged
upstream so we don't have to maintain it and others can easily use it.

Additionally, it would make sense to combine that work with writing a plugin
for ffmpeg to replace the use of sox in StoryMaker.