[guardian-dev] ZRTP hard phone?

Steve Song steve at villagetelco.org
Fri Jun 13 13:34:19 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Steve Song from Village Telco here.  Danny Illand mentioned this thread to
me and I'd love to explore this possibility to see where it goes. Sorry it
took me so long.

To date we haven't done anything about securing Village Telco networks
largely because we believe that fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
 The only thing worse than an insecure network is one that advertises
itself as secure but isn't.  All that to say that it is not that we aren't
interested, we just lack deep expertise in network security.  Which is why
I am doing my best to restrain my bubbling enthusiasm about a possible
collaboration.

The second generation Mesh Potato or MP2 is built on the AR9331 platform.
 You can see a little bit more about it at http://wiki.villagetelco.org/MP02
  The FXS sub-system has taken us way longer than we had hoped to produce
but is just going into production this very week.  It took a while to
getting working kernel and DAHDI drivers for it.  Getting technical support
from Qualcomm/Atheros and SiliconLabs it tough when you're tiny.  :)

Everything we have developed is under an open license.  However, and it is
not an insignificant however, we used some of SiLabs' code for the drivers
as we couldn't afford to write everything from scratch.  Getting access to
100% of the code may require signing an NDA with SiLabs.  I need to
investigate this more to find out how that works in practice.  The chip we
have used for the FXS subsystem is the Si3217x ProSLIC  (
http://www.silabs.com/products/voice/slic/Pages/Si3217xProSLIC.aspx)

Comments, questions welcome.

Cheers... Steve

[guardian-dev] ZRTP hard phone?