[guardian-dev] Serverless XMPP Feedback

David Brodsky dbro at dbro.pro
Tue Jun 17 17:12:45 EDT 2014

I've been working on rebasing the serverless XMPP (XEP-0174
<http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html>) work from ChatSecureAndroid
<https://github.com/guardianproject/ChatSecureAndroid> into the Smack
<https://github.com/Flowdalic/smack> XMPP library for Java.

The results of this effort are in my Smack fork
<https://github.com/OnlyInAmerica/Smack/tree/xep-0174-2> (diff
<https://github.com/OnlyInAmerica/Smack/compare/Flowdalic:master...xep-0174-2>),
and can be evaluated using a harness application
<https://github.com/OnlyInAmerica/smack-example/tree/xep-0174>.

You can quickly clone & run the harness application to setup a XEP-0174
client on your machine

$ git clone -b xep-0174 https://github.com/OnlyInAmerica/smack-example
--recursive
$ cd ./smack-example
$ ./gradlew run

This will connect you with the JID "adam at dbro.pro" (You may change the JID
parameter in ./smack-example/src/main/java/pro/dbro/smack/Main.java) which
will be broadcast as a mDNS serviceName of "adam at dbro". *Watch out: *The
harness client will automatically send a "Hey" message to all other
XEP-0174 chat clients it discovers. Quick testing reveals the harness
client works* with Adium and ChatSecureAndroid.

*A hair-puller:* Periods are delimiting characters in mDNS service names
and thus the "a at b.com" JID becomes the "a at b" mDNS service name. It doesn't
appear ChatSecureAndroid does this conversion though the UI encourages you
to provide a full JID
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/pushbullet-uploads/ujz1fwJfhKK-lcm2cztXBQRQoet0y7NvjWALQwoB9mC0/Screenshot_2014-06-17-13-37-49.png>.
When
you create a Bonjour XMPP account via ChatSecureAndroid with a full JID,
the mDNS service will not be resolvable by JmDNS, nds-sd (Mac OS X), or
avahi-browse (Ubuntu).

Feedback welcome!

Cheers!
David

*Adium currently doesn't parse nicknames and displays "Unnamed contact" for
both ChatSecureAndroid and harness application clients. This seems to be a
bug on Adium's side.