[guardian-dev] We want your feedback on Courier

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Wed Jun 18 12:57:31 EDT 2014

Some quick feedback from trying the latest nightly build:

* When testing the panic feature, I didn't realise I had to press in
the middle of the radiation symbol to swipe down - I was trying to
swipe on the arrows and it didn't work.

* The visual design is really, really nice!

* I didn't realise I was supposed to scroll to the bottom of the About
screen and hit a button to get started - I pulled down the menu
instead and tried to add a feed. All the URLs I tried failed to load
because I hadn't connected to Tor yet, but the reason wasn't explained.

* Courier asks if I want to install Orbot via Google Play, but it
launches F-Droid instead (which is good, but it should say F-Droid).

* After installing Orbot it's not clear how to switch back to Courier
- - if I use recents to switch back to Courier, there are two F-Droid
activities on the back stack and I have to use the back button to get
back to a Courier activity.

* Back in Courier, I'm connected to Tor and I pull down to sync the
news - the sync icon spins for a long time. Is it doing anything? Was
I supposed to add a feed first? I go to Manage Feeds and some feeds
have appeared. I come back, and some articles have appeared. I was
just impatient.

* It looks like I can only read article summaries - if I click 'Read
full article' if offers to use Firefox or the Android browser. Should
I also install Orweb?

* If I click on the feed name above an article, the view is filtered
to show articles from that feed. How do I get back to the full view?
The back button takes me out of the app. (Oh, OK, I have to use the
navigation drawer.)

* If I'm viewing all feeds and I choose Share Feed Via Messaging, all
my feeds are pasted into a message. I expected to be able to choose a
feed to share.

* I don't understand what Share Feed Via Courier is meant to do - it
opens the Manage Feeds activity.

* Share Feed Via Orbot reopens Orbot's setup wizard...

* When I tap the notification icon to lock the app, the unlock screen
is shown. At first I thought it was asking for my passphrase in order
to lock the app.

This is a really cool app - I hope the nitpicks above will be taken in
the spirit of constructive criticism in which they're intended!

Cheers,
Michael