[guardian-dev] CALEA

Aaron Lux a at AaronLux.com
Fri Mar 7 11:37:00 EST 2014

On 03/05/2014 09:26 PM, ShootAKite at riseup.net wrote:
>> Who knows what will happen in the future so just watch out for CALEA and the
>> impacts it may have on secure communications development (i.e. scaring off
>> venture funding).
> AFAIK, CALEA only impacts us if we connect to the PSTN aka plain old
> telephone networks.
>
> Regardless, as we saw with Lavabit, and as we see in many countries
> around the world, the laws can be bent, misused or ignored by those in
> power.
>
> +n

Hi n8fr8,
The point I'm trying to make is I think CALEA is a bigger problem for
communications companies than NSA.  Also there are constant new
proposals to change CALEA[1] and eventually I think one of them will stick.

Basically I think CALEA is to communications companies as DMCA was to
video sharing.  Or in other words US government helps a large company
succeed (youtube) by creating barriers to entry and fines targeted at
smaller companies.

Also my encounters with the recent government hires has increased my
concern that all law and regulation will be abused or misinterpreted.
It looks like US Government is replacing all their experienced employees
with new employees selected based on EEO status (race, disability,
sexual orientation, etc).  In my experience these new hires don't care
what the law says but they get whatever they want since their
incompetence is only exceeded by their power.

[1]
http://www.c-span.org/video/?311627-1/new-technologies-national-security-law
(See Question at 35 minutes)