[guardian-dev] Using Android VPN settings to secure all outbound traffic (without it actually being a VPN)

Jon Spriggs jon at sprig.gs
Tue Mar 11 04:55:07 EDT 2014

I spotted an Android app in the play store called "Mobiwol: NoRoot
Firewall" (
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netspark.firewall) which
seems quite an interesting project, and I think might make setting up Tor
on Android a very viable possibility for the non-techie.

The upshot of it is that by using the VPN framework (Android 4.x and up I
believe?) which doesn't require root, you can encourage all your traffic
down a TAP/TUN interface, and then perform your filtering activities on it
from there. Unfortunately, the app isn't Open Source, so we can't see
exactly how they've done it (plus, I don't know my way around a Java stack,
so even if it was Open, I couldn't help!) but I think if you were to
combine this Firewalling functionality with the option to shunt certain
applications into Tor... and it doesn't need root to set this up... I think
you've got a win straight away!

Also, it's very pretty, and relatively simple to understand :D
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs