[guardian-dev] 81% of Tor users can be de-anonymised by analysing router information, research indicates

str4d str4d at i2pmail.org
Thu Nov 20 15:28:20 EST 2014

Michael Rogers wrote:
> On 14/11/14 21:23, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>> Otherwise, I am all about HIGH-latency anonymity systems these
>> days, so the more we can think about mobile messaging over Tor as
>> a transport for all things, the better!
>
> I totally agree about the value of high-latency anonymity systems,
> and unsurprisingly I also agree that messaging over Tor is a good
> idea, but I think we should devote some time to working out how the
> two things fit together - maybe try to get the Tor research
> community interested.
>
> If we simply use Tor as a low-latency transport for asynchronous
> messaging then we're limited to Tor's threat model, i.e. we can't
> prevent traffic confirmation attacks. If we revive one of the
> remailers or build a new system then we're limited to a small
> number of users, i.e. a small anonymity set. So ideally we'd find
> some way of adding high-latency mix-like features to Tor.

I2P-Bote (high-latency distributed encrypted email) [0] falls into the
"new system" category (even though it has existed for 5 years). But I
am intrigued by this thought. I2P-Bote was designed to use I2P to hide
the fact that someone was using I2P-Bote (up to the limit of traffic
confirmation), but it also includes its own high-latency relaying
system for sending mail. Are you suggesting that its efficacy is
reduced by it running over I2P (compared to not running over an
anonymizing network at all)?

> Done right, this could provide a large anonymity set for the
> high-latency users and improve the traffic analysis resistance of
> Tor for the low-latency users at the same time, by providing a pool
> of latency-insensitive traffic to smooth out the bursty
> low-latency traffic between relays.

The I2P tunnel specification has included support for high-latency
tunnels since it was designed. None of it is implemented yet because
no one had a use for it, but the underlying tunnel protocol has
defined message bits for supporting user-defined delays both along a
tunnel [1] and at the end of it [2].

If high-latency tunnels would actually be useful, we can implement
them and get most of the network supporting delays relatively quickly
(we usually have 80% of the network on the latest release within six
weeks).

str4d

[0] http://i2pbote.i2p.rocks/
[1] https://geti2p.net/en/docs/spec/tunnel-message (search "Delay)