[guardian-dev] Gilgamesh, FireChat etc

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Thu Oct 9 14:34:54 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014, at 01:43 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> If there is DNS communication, that means there is IP communication
> already
> setup.  Or is there some kind of special DNS for wifi direct?  If there
> is IP,
> then I think you'll get a lot more efficient data transfer using IP
> protocols
> like UDP broadcasts or multicast.

Well, there is no joining of groups or peering or connecting anything.
It is still in the broadcast/discovery phase when this happens.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/nsd/WifiP2pDnsSdServiceInfo.html

Some more info found here:
http://www.thinktube.com/tech/android/wifi-direct
"Service discovery
After a P2P device has been discovered, and before establishing a group
with it, it can be asked to describe the services it provides. This is
an optional frame exchange which supports different service description
protocols, such as "Bonjour" (DNS-SD), UPnP or WS-Discovery. After that,
the application or user may choose to connect to a device based on its
name or provided services, e.g. a camera may automatically connect to a
display to show its photos, or a user may choose to connect to "My
Printer" to print a document."