[guardian-dev] Android WebView SOP vulnerability (CVE-2014-6041)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Sep 23 12:20:49 EDT 2014

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Nathan of Guardian wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Yet another stark reminder that the web only really works with public
>>> information.  Running applications on the web is really just a terrible
>>> idea
>>> from a security and privacy point of view.
>>
>> Well, that cuts off about 99% of the usefulness of it!
>>
>> Though now that Chrome can run Android apps, maybe we are moving back
>> into native/compiled/purpose-built binaries!
>
> Native apps can do networked stuff just fine, there is no need to use such a
> horribly insecure platform.  Look at all the networked mobile apps, e.g.
> Facebook, etc.
>
> The companies that are pushing everyone to webapps are generally based on data
> mining business models (Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc), so webapps are not
> designed with the user's security in mind.  Here's more fun news on the topic:
> jquery.com got pwned and was serving malware:
> http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2869
>
> Webs apps are structured around letting any random website execute code on
> your machine, and they can even include random code from any other website and
> transparently execute that on your machine.
>
> It is not surprising that Finspy, NSA, etc. all focus on using websites to pwn
> computers.

The fun doesn't stop at jquery.com!  Doubleclick's ad servers were also pwned
to serve malware:

http://it-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/09/19/2232241/googles-doubleclick-ad-servers-exposed-millions-of-computers-to-malware

Everyone got a good ad blocker installed?  Also, it is probably time for
turning javascript off by default on your browser, and just whitelisting it
when its required.