[guardian-dev] Update your servers for real

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Sat Sep 27 04:26:09 EDT 2014

Chris, you rule thanks. This is the first peep about SIP security I
have /ever received from anyone at any time/. I'm checking the server
but I don't think I'm using that module. I don't have to execute shell
scripts for anything on the Kamailio layer in ostel.co. I also updated
the shell a few hours after the public announcement of the exploit so
it should be moot but the escalating panic is stronk.

- -lee

On 9/26/14, 1:02 PM, Chris Ballinger wrote:
> Saw this SIP server Shellshock scanner today:
> https://github.com/zaf/sipshock
>
>> The exec module in Kamailio, Opensips and propably every other
>> SER
> fork passes the received SIP headers as environment viarables to
> the invoking shell. This makes these SIP proxies vulnerable to
> CVE-2014-6271 (Bash Shellshock). If a proxy is using any of the
> exec funtions and has the 'setvars' parameter set to 1 (default)
> then by sending SIP message containing a specially crafted header
> we can run arbitrary code on the proxy machine.
>
> Every time I read about the Shellshock vulnerability I get
> flashbacks to this SNES game:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lASNUQ7M8gs
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Lee Azzarello
> <lee at guardianproject.info <mailto:lee at guardianproject.info>>
> wrote:
>
> Weird. I'm using a Wheezy base install built via debootstrap on an
> Open Hosting container. It uses bash by default for the root user.
> Perhaps debootstrap or my platform build scripts override the
> default shell for root to be bash?
>
> Anyhoo, I think most people prefer Bash because it is very close to
> a real programming language. This shellshock shitstorm might be a
> setback for popular programming culture.
>
> -lee
>
> On 9/25/14, 9:48 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> That's for "Lenny users:".  See this section:
>
>> Squeeze users:
>
>> * Dash is always installed. * /bin/sh is dash by default (even
>> for upgraded systems).
>
>> .hc
>
>> Lee Azzarello wrote:
>>> I'm confused. The article you linked is instructions to
>>> install dash and configure a base system to use it as default.
>>> Am I misunderstanding something?
>>>
>>> -lee
>>>
>>> On Thursday, September 25, 2014, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
>>> hans at guardianproject.info <mailto:hans at guardianproject.info>>

> <mailto:Guardian-dev at lists.mayfirst.org> <javascript:;> List

To Unsubscribe Send email to:

You are subscribed as: c1.android at niftybox.net