[guardian-dev] chatsecure android failing with jabberd2

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Apr 18 20:39:13 EDT 2015

(I sent a version to the otr list before I found this list.)

I have up-to-date chatsecure from the guardianproject's f-droid
compatible repo, on android 4.4.2.

I am trying to connect (without tor) to a private jabberd2 server that I
admin.  The server requires tls, and works with many clients for ~100
users, generally without issues.  I connect to it both direct and over
tor with adium and pidgin.

On trying to sign in, chatsecure tells me the password is not valid.
I'm really sure I typed it in right, and the server agrees:

Sat Apr 18 19:38:51 2015 [notice] [22] [10.1.2.3, port=40015] connect
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] [22] DIGEST-MD5 authentication succeeded: gdt at example.com 10.1.2.3:40015 TLS
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] [22] bound: jid=gdt at example.com/foo
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] session started: jid=gdt at example.com/foo
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] [22] [10.1.2.3, port=40015] disconnect jid=gdt at example.com/foo, packets: 2
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] session ended: jid=gdt at example.com/foo
Sat Apr 18 19:38:52 2015 [notice] user unloaded jid=gdt at example.com

This is an actual server log (mix of c2s and sm), with IP address,
server name, and resource all blinded.

Someone else is having the same problem with my server with chatsecure
(including the same success in the log).  However, they are able to log
into an ejabberd-hosted server.  (I don't have any accounts at an
ejabberd-hosted server.)

logcat shows:

I/Database( 5628): sqlite returned: error code = 284, msg = automatic index on providers(category)

as well as some happy-looking messages about accepting the certificate.

Thanks,
Greg