[guardian-dev] Discovery and user rights

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Apr 21 11:33:05 EDT 2015

Sounds right on topic for us! We're working with the exact same issues and tech.

I'd like to throw out on related idea, just to get the ideas flowing.  I've
been trying to think about how to keep the range small enough so that we can
rely on inter-personal skills for handling some of the privacy issues.  NFC is
perfect for that, Bluetooth and local WiFi are also pretty good, but can be
locally monitored.

This is a core idea of the FDroid app swap process.  The authentication comes
from actually physically exchanging with the other people, and having that
session last as long as the people are physically present in the same room.
That maps concretely to our experience of agreeing to be in the same room with
people, and choosing who in that room to talk to.

There are of course large limitations to working like this, so it won't work
for lots of use cases where local data transfer can be useful.

.hc

Yaron Goland:

https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81