[guardian-dev] removing SMS from InTheClear?

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Tue Apr 21 17:19:30 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015, at 02:33 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Nathan of Guardian:
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2015, at 06:51 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >> Since Amnesty's PanicButton includes a well tested SMS message function,
> >> I'm
> >> thinking that we should just remove the SMS message function from
> >> InTheClear,
> >> and make it just entirely focused on various wiping and deleting tasks.
> >>
> >> How does that sound?
> >
> > The SMS part is also the piece the doesn't work very well.. so sure, I
> > could imagine that. We can update the app to just be a data clearing
> > tool, that responds to the new panic broadcasts. If you want to send
> > emergency SMS, you Amnesty Panic, or if you want to send emergency
> > secure messages, use ChatSecure.
> >
> > +n
>
> Now that I think about it, I think that if the InTheClear SMS support
> works at
> all, then it would be good to have as a SMS sender on the "receiver" side
> of
> the panic interaction. Amnesty PanicButton sends the panic trigger, i.e.
> it is
> the app with the button that triggers the panic actions.  It also
> includes the
> SMS sending.  But if someone wants to have an SMS message sent while
> using a
> panic trigger app other than Amnesty PanicButton, then they'll need an
> app
> that receives the panic trigger, and sends the SMS.

Right. Having a non-Amnesty Panic solution for sending emergency SMS is
definitely needed.

> But perhaps it still makes sense to split out SMS from InTheClear, and
> just
> take that code to make a standalone SMS location message sending app.

I can see that architecturally, but for the sake of keeping the number
of apps and projects we have to worry about lower and not higher, as
well as supporting the communities who already know about InTheClear
(and might actually be using it), I would rather keep that app intact.
It seems like adding support for the new Panic receiver functions into
the app makes the most sense.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info