[guardian-dev] limiting Orbot PIE version to android-21

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Wed Feb 4 13:53:39 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015, at 12:52 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> It seems that having the non-PIE and PIE versions of Orbot is causing
> issue
> for some people.  I just had a thought: what about limiting the PIE
> version to
> only >=21, i.e. android:minSdkVersion="21", then for now using the
> original,
> non-PIE version for everything else, i.e. android:maxSdkVersion="20"
>
> Then once the kinks are worked out, the PIE version could be lowered to
> android:minSdkVersion="16" so that more devices benefit from the security
> enhancements.

The problem isn't running the PIE binary, it is just related to the
binary upgrade logic, and detecting the change of the OS to Android 5.

I'll be fixing the binary resource installer logic in v15 dev work going
on now.

The other option is to turn the tor binary into a libtor.so shared
library, which removes the whole PIE issue.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info