[guardian-dev] warrant canary

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Feb 9 09:25:21 EST 2015

Nathan of Guardian:

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2015, at 05:20 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I imagine EFF, Harvard Law's Berkman Center, and NYU Law had some really
>> good
>> lawyers look at this before they endorsed it ;-)  It is uncharted
>> territory to
>> some degree, in terms of courts.  But it sounds like those lawyers
>> forming a
>> posse in case this does go to court.
>>
>> Also, for those who don't know, Nick Merrill, the man behind Calyx, was
>> the
>> plaintiff in Doe v. Ashcroft, which challenged the legality of aspects of
>> National Security Letters (NSLs):
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Merrill
>>
>> I can't really imagine a better legal team behind this effort.  I suppose
>> they
>> are missing an ACLU endorsement...
>
> BTW, I asked some EFF and Berkman folks, and people thought that
> software devs like us should be included, wrt to backdoors in our
> software, being forced to sign a binary with added "stuff" in it, etc.
>
> We should make sure we have a coordinated process between all of us with
> keys, and then go from there.

I agree software devs should do this too, plus lots of orgs also run
infrastructure, like our own website and issue tracker, for example.

Sounds like someone needs to come up with a standard format and process for
doing this to make it easy to do and easy to parse.

https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81