[guardian-dev] Orbot v15 alpha 4

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Feb 24 05:08:49 EST 2015

Looks like lots of interesting stuff in there.  I think you also left out that
there is a basic browser included now in Orbot.  I'm wondering what the
security ramifications of that might be.  I don't really know much about the
Android WebView, but I've looked into heartbleed issues quite a bit, and one
related thing that I learned from GnuPG v2.1 and gpgme is that key pieces of
security infrastructure should be well separated from everything else.  In
gpgme, it is a library that wraps the GnuPG command line tools, so that the
app using gpgme does not share the same memory space as the GnuPG command line
tools, which are working directly with the private key material.

So extrapolating from that and thinking about Orbot with embedded WebView, are
there attacks made possible by embedding WebView into the same app as Tor?  Is
there a good way to fully isolate the embedded WebView?  My guess is that
there are attacks made possible by this architecture, and that it would be
difficult to keep the WebView stuff separate from the code that controls Tor.

.hc

Nathan of Guardian:

https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81