[guardian-dev] Great progress on Orfox browser

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Jun 15 14:01:37 EDT 2015

Quick update by the great work by Amogh, our former GSOC student and now
intern, working on getting Orfox, our build of Tor Browser for Android,
finally released. The goal is to get as close to the "real Tor Browser"
while taking into account the new, unique issues we face on Android. For
instance, the Android UI pieces are all new code specific to Android,
that support things like Chromecasting, which we have to disable and
remove.

You can follow Amogh's project news blog here:
https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/orfox-private-browser/news

It has links to the latest dev/debug APK files (not official alphas
yet), and the various technical problems that have been solved. In
summary, we've got all the various pieces of the core Gecko browser and
the Android UI proxying properly without leaking (or so our smoke
testing round seems to prove).

His branch of Tor Browser is here, and you can see the fairly small
amount of changes we've had to do make it work on Android:
https://github.com/amoghbl1/tor-browser/commits/orfox-tb_GECKO380esr_2015050513_RELBRANCH

We expect to have an alpha out this week, but feel free to jump in on
testing of the posted builds, and file bugs or feature requests as you
find them:
https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/orfox-private-browser/issues/new

+n