[guardian-dev] Disguised photo vault apps

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sat Nov 7 08:10:09 EST 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 05:57 AM, hans at guardianproject.info wrote:

> Given CameraV has similar features as the "photo vault" apps mentioned in
> this article, I wonder how we can downgrade that kind of use case versus
> our intended ones.
>
> Hundreds of Nude Photos Jolt Colorado School.  The authorities were
> debating whether to file child pornography charges, including felony
> charges, in the sexting case at Cañon City High School.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/us/colorado-students-caught-trading-nude-photos-by-the-hundreds.html

Unfortunately the threat model of an authoritarian surveillance state is
not unlike an American high school.

Also, it is hilarious that even in the digital connected smartphone age,
it is still the hormone raging jocks who are behind something like this.
When I was in high school, members of the football team had a secret
(tho not very) code / indicator for which girls were more promiscuous.
How did I know this? Well I computed all the stats of course on my 286.

My point is that jocks are going to jock, and as always, good parenting
is a big part of the answer.II also like the idea of "safer sexting"
since, like actual sex, we aren't going to stop minors from doing this
sort of thing.

I am open to de-emphasizing this as a hidden photo vault app in our
messaging.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info