[guardian-dev] xmpp client strategy

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Nov 13 11:48:59 EST 2015

I really had trouble reading the white-label blog post about xmpp
clients.  Did I get this right?

  current chatsecure codebase will be simplified (losing features) and
  get renamed Zom, intended to be used by normals.

  guardianproject people will get tor support into Conversations, and
  then there will be a build of Conversations that is labeled
  Chatsecure, but is really no different than the normal build.  This is
  intended for use by nerds.

In an xmpp phone client, what I find missing from both current
chatsecure and Conversations is control over presence and coexisting
with my using other clients.

Basically, I want to be able to set my status/priority on the phone to
some sort of "away - phone" so that people see that when that's the best
status, they realize I'm sort of there but not necessarily, and see
available status from other clients based on idle.

Then I'd like to be able to set status to other values manually.  I
tried Conversations' option to set status from whether the phone screen
is on, but I really didn't like the concept.

Finally, this reminds me that one of the issues I have with xmpp is that
I consider presence to be very private data.  I resolve this by using
private servers and tending to peer only with people on other private
servers whose operators I feel ok about (which would not include big
company cloud stuff :-).  I don't see any reasonable way out of this.
The unreasonable way is to do all presence encrypted e2e (which would be
good anyway, not unreasonable) and then have it sent at regular
intervals by my server whether I'm logged in or not.