[guardian-dev] more pre-installed malware on devices, including Xiaomi

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Wed Sep 9 10:06:58 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015, at 03:14 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Some murky info on pre-installed malware found on devices from a few
> different
> makers, including Xiaomi:
> https://thehackernews.com/2015/09/android-smartphone-malware.html
>
> Anyone know more about this?

All I know is that there is a ton of crapware on my Xiaomi Note that I
bought from some random AliBaba shop based in Hong Kong. I often get
random pops up prompting to install some apps, and 99.99% I cancel them,
but every now and then I accidentally hit okay.

In short, I consider the device fully p0wn3d.

Not that said, you can flash the device with a clean MIUI build directly
from Xiaomi, which is probably the best bet, or even, re-flash it with
Cyanogen.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info