[guardian-dev] where to buy an Android device without Google Play on it?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Apr 4 06:25:15 EDT 2016

Since Google Play is blocked in China, I imagine that phones sold in
China do not come with Google Play installed.  I recently bought two
Chinese phone models, a Xiaomi Redphone 3 and a Lenovo A2800.  Both of
them are fully branded in Chinese, and the A2800 is actually marked
"China Mobile", then China-only telecom.  Both of these came with Google
Play installed.  So either Google Play is installed on phones sold in
China, or I'm getting other editions like Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Has anyone bought Android devices that come without Google Play installed?

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556