[guardian-dev] New post on ChatSecure Push!

Chris Ballinger chrisballinger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:04:58 EDT 2016

This is a stepping stone to XEP-0357, which we also intend to support. Keep
in mind we started development on this spec years before XEP-0357 was
introduced and didn't have the resources to deliver it until now. This
helps bridge the gap during the rollout of 357 so you can use push *now* on
legacy servers. For instance, our latest release defaults new accounts to
the dukgo server, which doesn't support 357, and probably won't for quite
some time. The prosody modules for push are still in active development and
I'm not aware of any public servers with 357 support deployed.

Our existing push server acts as the "app server" in the 357 model and is
already compatible with 357 servers with our PubSub module (RubDub
<https://github.com/ChatSecure/RubDub>), so the effort still isn't wasted
when we eventually support 357 client side.

I don't think our push spec should necessarily be standardized within XMPP
land, because it doesn't depend on or reference XMPP at all. It's simple
enough that once you have distributed some tokens over any transport,
someone can send you pushes from a web browser, or a desktop app, or
anywhere that HTTP POST is possible. The fact that it integrates with XMPP
is more of an implementation detail.