[guardian-dev] Popularity of Gingerbread

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Fri Aug 5 12:32:45 EDT 2016

Chris, I think this is a really good question that goes to the heart of
what the community working on information security for activists and
journalists is trying to achieve.

We have to find a balance between encouraging users to improve their
overall security, and reaching as many users as possible. If we take a
hardline stance that we'll only support CopperheadOS, or Nexus devices
with the latest monthly security patch, or as-yet-nonexistent devices
with fully free hardware and software, we'll exclude most of the people
we want to help. On the other hand, if we don't pay any attention to the
wider security context in which our tools are used, we'll build steel
doors for cardboard houses and maybe harm people by giving them a false
sense of security. (Although to be honest, I've never met an activist
with a false sense of security.)

The compromise that I'm personally comfortable with is to provide
software that runs on old devices while also encouraging people to use
new, regularly patched devices if they can. But we have to stop
supporting old devices eventually because the effort becomes
disproportionate to the benefit. The ever-diminishing security of those
old devices is one factor in that benefit calculation, and the
ever-diminishing number of users is another.

Cheers,
Michael