[guardian-dev] Signal over Tor

arrase arrase at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:11:20 EST 2016

guardian-dev at lists.mayfirst.org>:

> Hi,
>
> last week or so Signal introduced voice messages. This is a very nice
> feature, because now you can use Signal over Tor and latency with text
> or voice messages is really not a problem.
>
> So, I did a few tests. In Orbot, I enabled "Apps VPN Mode" and select
> Signal. I have rooted CyanogenMod 13.
>
> I found out, that sometimes Signal traffic is routed to Tor without a
> problem, but sometimes it was not. Also, sometimes I needed to reboot
> the phone that changes took the effect.
>
> I know this option is experimental, but is there any information when it
> will be "production ready"?
>
> There is another idea... you can register "anonymous" number to Signal,
> that means number which is not "written" on your SIM card.
>
> So theoretically, you could run Signal over Tor, register unrelated
> phone number and communicate anonymously (of course, messages only, but
> you can have "pushh-to-talk" feature over Tor).
>
> So, I am thinking, it would be nice to have the ability to run two
> instances of Signal. One instance would be linked to your true phone
> number, while the other would be truly anonymous.
>
> Is this possible on Android? Running another instance of an app in
> "chroot mode"?

 I did not test by myself but there some apps for clone and run more
instances of an app.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/18/app-cloner-creates-multiple-instances-of-the-same-app-on-your-phone/
http://swapmyapp.com/how-to/run-multiple-instances-of-one-app/

In theory if you can change the package name and do the proper refactor to
the classes , it should work.