[guardian-dev] Options for Signal circumvention

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Tue Dec 27 16:58:58 EST 2016

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016, at 09:29 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I also wonder if f-droid could grow a soft dependency feature, where
> installing an app could cause f-droid to offer to install a set of
> dependency apps.  I really mean soft, in that one could say no, and
> obviously apps have to behave reasonably with the dependency app
> missing, but it could ease the UX.  Actually, proprietary app stores
> could do this also.

Google Play Services essentially works this way today, where you are
prompted to install or upgrade based on if you have it or not. While
there is no defined dependency specification, it is clear that Google
considers this an acceptable user experience to require of the masses.

It would be great for F-Droid to lead the way with an actual defined
method for this. I agree it should also be soft, and apps should
gracefully degrade.

+n

--
  Nathan of Guardian