[guardian-dev] Understanding IOCipher

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Feb 8 11:18:16 EST 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Jabber Wocky wrote:
> I'm trying to understand some basics of IOCipher. The documentation
> states
> it to be a "virtual encrypted disk" but then mentions it is based on
> SQLCipher.  Does this mean that IOCipher is actually an encrypted SQLite
> database?  Just trying to understand... Thanks for any responses!

Yes! It was Hans' brilliant idea to use libSQLFS ("a library that
implements a POSIX style filesystem on top of an SQLite database" on top
of SQLCipher. It has worked like a charm, in production use by 100,000s
of users in ChatSecure, Courier, CameraV (where we record and play
videos into it) and other apps.

https://github.com/guardianproject/libsqlfs
https://github.com/guardianproject/iocipher

--