[guardian-dev] NetCipher: How Do I Know That It Is Working?

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sat Feb 13 14:03:16 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016, at 01:05 PM, Mark Murphy wrote:
> If I am writing an app, and I (try to) integrate NetCipher, and I make
> an HTTP request of a regular Web server, and I get a valid response
> back... how do I know that the request made it through Orbot's HTTP
> proxy and Tor, versus somehow being re-routed to the Web server
> directly?

There is no built-in method for this. I suppose you could request
check.torproject.org and parse it to match for the "you are connected to
Tor" string. Tor also has an API for this now that I can dig up.

> I have tried enabling "Debug Log" in Orbot, but I do not know if it logs
> request information (or what that might look like), and I do not know if
> anything is needed beyond checking the checkbox (e.g., restart Orbot,
> reboot device).

We don't currently log individual request but I think we could,
especially using the polipo HTTP proxy server that sits between port
8118 and Tor SOCKS on 9050.

+n