[guardian-dev] NetCipher: How Do I Know That It Is Working?

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Sat Feb 13 14:21:34 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016, at 14:03, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016, at 01:05 PM, Mark Murphy wrote:
> > If I am writing an app, and I (try to) integrate NetCipher, and I make
> > an HTTP request of a regular Web server, and I get a valid response
> > back... how do I know that the request made it through Orbot's HTTP
> > proxy and Tor, versus somehow being re-routed to the Web server
> > directly?
>
> There is no built-in method for this.

Gulp.

> We don't currently log individual request but I think we could,
> especially using the polipo HTTP proxy server that sits between port
> 8118 and Tor SOCKS on 9050.

Another possibility would be to add some X- header to the response from
the HTTP proxy (e.g., X-Orbot-Diagnostics, with perhaps a meaningful bit
of data as a value), for use in debug mode. That would allow for
validation as part of HTTP response processing, such as for test suites.

Thanks for the info!

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
https://commonsware.com | https://github.com/commonsguy