[guardian-dev] NetCipher: How Do I Know That It Is Working?

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Sat Feb 13 14:51:17 EST 2016

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016, at 14:32, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> For apps that want to absolutely guarantee access via Tor, you can also
> setup a .Onion hidden service. This would.not resolve if your request is
> not being proxied.

Unless I'm totally missing something in the world of Tor, an .onion
hidden service is something that would be done on the server side. A
client-side developer cannot unilaterally create an .onion hidden
service, and even if it were done, that would only work for that
particular service. So, for a developer creating an app for their own
server, a hidden service is certainly conceivable.

A developer creating an app for a user's chosen server, or even just
some third-party server, can't go that route (again, unless I'm missing
something). And while we can change the client code to temporarily hit
something else (e.g., check.torproject.org)... that's a bit like the old
joke about looking for one's lost car keys under the streetlamp, rather
than where the keys might have been lost, because the light's better
there. :-)

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
https://commonsware.com | https://github.com/commonsguy