[guardian-dev] NetCipher: How Do I Know That It Is Working?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 01:21:20 EST 2016

On 2/13/16, Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2016, at 01:05 PM, Mark Murphy wrote:
>> back... how do I know that the request made it through Orbot's HTTP
>> proxy and Tor, versus somehow being re-routed to the Web server
>> directly?

> check.torproject.org and parse it to match for the "you are connected to
> Tor" string. Tor also has an API for this now that I can dig up.

https://check.torproject.org/api/ip
But that's only for browsers.

What made it around tor: packet filter
What made it into tor: tor controller setevents stream

If you want to make that more useful to users:

> We don't currently log individual request but I think we could,
> especially using the polipo HTTP proxy server that sits between port
> 8118 and Tor SOCKS on 9050.

If you're doing TLS you won't see it. And X-mitm your own TLS
streams to indicate is just weird. Also, polipo had network issues
back when I tested it, privoxy stripped of rules worked fine to replace
its function.