[guardian-dev] NetCipher: How Do I Know That It Is Working?

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Sun Feb 14 09:56:41 EST 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016, at 09:45, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> We can add a helper function called
> makeSureIAmReallyUsingTor() that hits that and verifies the response.
> Does that work from your perspective, Mark?

I agree that developers (and users) could use that. However, given
NetCipher's current scope, implementing it is something that developers
themselves need to do. You can't request that URL without a
fully-configured HTTP client stack, and that's something that developers
need to set up today.

Now, if we envision a future NetCipher that has packaged integrations
tying it to popular Android HTTP client stacks (e.g., HttpURLConnection,
Apache's independent HttpClient packaging, OkHttp, Volley), those
integrations could offer such a method. The developer configures the
integration, calls the validation method, and proceeds from there.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
https://commonsware.com | https://github.com/commonsguy