[guardian-dev] NetCipher Book Chapter, and HTTP Stack Integration

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 25 11:15:35 EST 2016

Mark Murphy:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016, at 08:40, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So I guess the key bit there in terms of making the Intent start Orbot
>> not matter what its state is the Intent.setComponent() call?
>
> Sorry, you lost me there.

Is Intent.setComponent() the thing that makes the Orbot ACTION_START
Intent launch Orbot even if it is in the stopped state after just being
installed?

>> I could make sense to make NetCipher work well
>> with AndroidPinning, but even better would be to have a full
>> pinning/TOFU support built-in.
>
> The choice of GPLv3 for a library, while honorable, won't be popular
> among Android developers that pay attention to licenses.

Yup, but that library is also not so complicated and limited in what it
can do, so it would be nice to have a replacement.

>> Here's the archtecture for that that
>> I've been working on over the years:
>>
>> https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/bazaar/wiki/Chained_TLS_Cert_Verification
>
> In a related area, I have TrustManagerBuilder in CWAC-Security:
>
> https://github.com/commonsguy/cwac-security/blob/master/TrustManagerBuilder.markdown

Seems like we should join forces on this one!

PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556