[guardian-dev] System.setProperty("socksProxyHost", "127.0.0.1") on Android

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Feb 29 15:50:48 EST 2016

(CC'ing the list again)

On Feb 29, 2016, at 9:46 PM, Mark Murphy wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 10:01, Hans of Guardian wrote:
>> Donno if you saw this on guardian-dev.  Think there is any chance that it
>> could make sense to make a custom HttpURLConnection subclass, or some
>> other subclass, based on the idea of taking the Android code and
>> injecting what we need in it?
>
> There's nothing stopping somebody from doing that. We discussed this on
> Friday, as this is the "maintain your own HTTP stack" approach. The fact
> that you start with somebody else's stack doesn't change the fact that
> you have to maintain it. :-)
>
> This approach is far less smelly than is reflection-based hacking. It's
> not that hard at the outset -- if nothing else, one could use OkHttp 2.x
> and their HttpURLConnection bridge API. However, this is a non-trivial
> long-term maintenance issue.

Yeah, there is the maintenance, but mostly that would be a matter of following what Google does with their maintenance and importing it.  The changes would be quite contained, I think.

I'm going to push HTTP proxies with Tor devs again, that's really the best outcome I think: make an HTTP proxy as a first class access method for Tor.  Then all the APIs will just work with it, and Orbot can remove all the hacks to support HTTP proxies.