[guardian-dev] Orbot as DownloadManager

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Sat Jan 2 16:56:34 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016, at 03:15 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Android provides the nice DownloadManager for handling regular file
> downloads in a robust way, but we can't set the proxy on it, so we can't
> use it over Tor.  I've been looking for separate DownloadManager
> replacement, and I just had an idea:  Orbot should also act as a
> DownloadManager service!
>
> I think we can do a classic Guardian Project move, and just copy the
> DownloadManager class, and use that as the API.

This fits with my desire to add OnionShare capabilities directly to
Orbot, as well. I wonder how deep that DownloadManager code goes. I know
the StoryMaker team implemented some similar features with resumeable
download support, which is essential for large files over Tor. I also
think we would want to add some extra confirmation so that apps couldn't
easily deanon a user by launching a Tor download with some unique
cookies tied to it.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info