[guardian-dev] Orbot roadmap feedback

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Jan 11 22:58:05 EST 2016

Here is my current set of brainstormed ideas for Orbot that I am
currently working through... please add, edit, improve and prioritize as
you are willing and able.

- Continued inclusion of the latest and greatest pluggable transports
(Obfs*, Meek, ???)

- Improved support for requesting and configuring Obfs4 bridges -
directly integrate with BridgeDB to provide streamlined way for people
to get bridges where Tor is blocked

- More Orbot VPN features including better UI for enabling/disabling Tor
routing, blocking specific apps, ports and/or hosts, and general
"firewall" or little snitch type features within the Orbot VPN

- OrbotShare: an OnionShare inspired file sharing and download manager
service to enable easy hidden service .onion setup and sharing
(including support for new ephemeral onions)

- OrbotRelay/Bridge: improved UI for running a bridge or relay from
within Orbot, including support for scheduled times (night only) or
states (only when plugged in, on wifi, and screen is off, etc)

- Removal of Polipo, in favor of new streamlined in process HTTP proxy
(less memory use, and more stable)

- Creation of LibOrbot module/library for use by any app to embed Tor
into their app

- Overall improved configuration / settings UI to make tuning Orbot a
better, simpler experience... this is an expansion of the new exit
country selector in Orbot v15.1, but also includes managing things like
network usage and so on.

- OrbotWear / OrbotTV: Should we expand Orbot support to other Android
platforms like watches and Smart TVs? Perhaps Orbot relay/bridge mode
could run on a TV or set top box?

- Some sort of "Pro" or Donation-ware version to allow a
pay-what-you-can concept within the app

Good, bad, ugly? Let me know!

--
  Nathan of Guardian