[guardian-dev] Last piece of puzzle in building digital privacy

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Jul 1 09:08:20 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016, at 04:10 AM, hans at guardianproject.info wrote:
> People like us working on digital privacy have now clearly demonstrated
> that it is technically possible to do, and it's even possible to make
> private software that anyone can use.  The last big piece of the puzzle
> of reclaiming our privacy is making business models that do not require
> privacy invasions.  I'm no particular fan of Tesla Motors, but this is an
> interesting perspective on their marketing and how it's not built in
> deeply invasive data.
>
> https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/mhass/is-tesla-motors-a-hidden-warrior-for-consumer-digital-privacy/

Interesting.

Though, of course, the rest of their business is built on deep data
monitoring and mining:
http://fortune.com/2015/10/16/how-tesla-autopilot-learns/
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2489327/personal-technology/hacked-passwords-can-enable-remote-unlocking--tracking-of-tesla-cars.html
http://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-already-tracking-its-cars-to-teach-them-to-dri-1736582289

I suppose, if invasive data capture is used for actual useful things,
and not just improving ad targeting, then it is okay. I just hope they
are starting to employee the ideas of differential privacy that
companies like Microsoft and Apple are finally embracing.

https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~aaroth/Papers/privacybook.pdf

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info