[guardian-dev] [GSoC 2016] Orfox - Report 5

Amogh Pradeep amoghbl1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 10:01:21 EDT 2016

Hey guys,

These are the things I’ve done in the past couple of weeks.

1) GetUserDataDirectoryHome in nsXREDirProvider.
Looks like the blocker in nsXREDirProvider was the GetUserDataDirectoryHome function.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19706 <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19706> is the ticket opened to track updates regarding this.
Once this is ready, we would be able to upstream all the Orfox patches to the tor-browser repo.

2) Commits clean up.
I’ve made a couple of passes on the commits to Orfox that we have, to reorder them and merge them as much as possible.
This will make it easier to maintain things in the future, and it would be easier to review code as we merge it with tor browser.

3) Disabling search widget.
The search widget for Orfox has now been removed. https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/7444 <https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/7444>
Commit: https://github.com/amoghbl1/tor-browser/commit/f415a732a8e50c2c34f43d905c36af5027bf7bb0 <https://github.com/amoghbl1/tor-browser/commit/f415a732a8e50c2c34f43d905c36af5027bf7bb0>
At this moment, I don’t see the advantage of having this feature and would prefer not supporting it, in order to make it easier to maintain Orfox.

In other new, I am migrating this week from CET to IST!
This might make it slightly harder to be online during most active hours, but I will try to be around.

Hope you guys have a great weekend.

Best,
Amogh Pradeep
amoghbl1 at gmail.com